Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 14:27:52 +0200
From: Markus Neteler <neteler@itc.it>
To: Request Tracker <grass-bugs@intevation.de>
Cc: grass5@grass.itc.it
Subject: Re: [GRASS5] [bug #2663] (grass) problems in 5.7 debianization,
affecting Grass.make, Platform.make

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 01:15:27PM +0200, Request Tracker wrote:
> this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=2663
> ----
>
> Subject: problems in 5.7 debianization, affecting Grass.make,
> Platform.make
>
> Platform: GNU/Linux/i386
> grass obtained from: Mirror of Trento site
> grass binary for platform: Compiled from Sources
> GRASS Version: 5.7
>
> while attempting to 'debuild' grass 5.7 on debian/sid :

Not knowing anything about Debian, but is 'debuild' the
method to compile? I thought it was 'dpkg-buildpackage'.
What I tried so far is described at
 http://mpa.itc.it/markus/grass57/debian/grass57deb/
 "3) Alternative: How to create a binary deb (any architecture)
  from fresh GRASS CVS snapshots"

> When I freshly unpacked the package, then tried a 'debuild', I
> encountered the following problem during that 'debuild' :
> Makefile:22: include/Make/Platform.make: No such file or directory
> Makefile:23: include/Make/Grass.make: No such file or directory

This indicates that 'configure' wasn't run.

[...]
> After running
> fakeroot debian/rules config.status
> ...it seemed like that particular problem was resolved. (It looks like
> the missing makefiles are being generated during the GRASS 'configure'
> step.)
>
> Then, after another 'debuild', I encountered the same error, though
> after  more output -- perhaps, after the  debian/rules 'clean' target
> was able to succeed.
> Again, the errors were:
> Makefile:22: include/Make/Platform.make: No such file or directory
> Makefile:23: include/Make/Grass.make: No such file or directory
> ...which wasn't so surprising, after noticing that some commands
> shortly before those errors had deleted the specified makefiles.
>

> (Perhaps the debain/rules file is not ensuring that the 'configure'
> step will be done before the full build?)

Maybe. How to ensure that?

> --Full Trancript--
> dpkg-buildpackage: source package is grass
> dpkg-buildpackage: source version is 5.7.0-1
> dpkg-buildpackage: source maintainer is Markus Neteler (devel)
> <neteler@itc.it>
> dpkg-buildpackage: host architecture is i386
>  fakeroot debian/rules clean
> dh_testdir
> dh_testroot
> rm -f build-stamp
> # Add here commands to clean up after the build process.
> /usr/bin/make distclean
> make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/GRASS/grass-5.7.0'

[... PLEASE: don't send unneccessary compile messages.
 Keep in mind that this mail is distributed to hundreds of
 people who may not be interested in reading a full compilation
 log. Just shorten it to the relevant parts.
]

> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/GRASS/grass-5.7.0'
> make: [clean] Error 2 (ignored)
> cp -f /usr/share/misc/config.sub config.sub
> cp -f /usr/share/misc/config.guess config.guess
> dh_clean build-stamp configure-stamp
>  dpkg-source -b grass-5.7.0
> dpkg-source: building grass in grass_5.7.0-1.tar.gz
> [[[interrupted]]]
> --End of transcript--
>
> I don't want to go editing the debian/rules file, when I'm not sure
> what setup you're expecting.

Not us, what Debian is expecting :-)

> I notice, though, that a typical debian/rules file will contain the
> following targets:
>
> ------
> configure: configure-stamp
> configure-stamp:
>  dh_testdir
> # Add here commands to configure the package.
>         configure
>  touch configure-stamp
> build: build-stamp
> build-stamp: configure-stamp
>  dh_testdir
> # Add here commands to compile the package.
>  $(MAKE)
>  touch build-stamp
> -------
>
> ...and that seems to make it "just work", hehe.
>
> I'm not sure what would need to be done, to resolve this; I might be
> trying some hacks, to make it work, locally -- could "share my notes",
> then, if needed

Yes. Please send the updated debian/rules to me once it it working.
Then I'll update in CVS. I have no longer access to Debian so I cannot
test.

Thanks

 Markus