[Pkg-grass-general] Re: GPS + GIS software for Debian

Hamish wrote:
> "gpsd" has recently had a major overhaul and should be a candidate for
> a Debian package. From the list above gpsdrive uses it, as does my
> GRASS 5.3 Realtime-GIS extension (search the GRASS mailing lists for
> info). Gpsd is good and people should standardize around it.
>
> gpsd Homepage:  http://gpsd.berlios.de/

Hi,

I've just received the announcement of the DebianGIS project, and as a
longtime Debian user and current GIS student I am quite interested in
it.

Regarding gpsd: There doesn't seem to be an ITP oder RFP around yet. Is
anyone working on a gpsd package? I'd be interested in picking up the
task, since I am using gpsd myself and would like to see it in the
archive. I'm not a DD though, and would need some guidance and
eventually a sponsor. I've some experience with creating debs for
inhouse use already, but nothing as polished as an official package
would need to be.

Cheers, Til