Re: Accepted gcc-8 8-20180308-1 (source) into unstable

On Thu, 2018-03-08 at 22:50 +0700, Matthias Klose wrote:
> On 08.03.2018 19:25, Svante Signell wrote:
> > On Thu, 2018-03-08 at 07:52 +0000, Matthias Klose wrote:
> > >
> > > Changes:
> > >  gcc-8 (8-20180308-1) unstable; urgency=medium
> > >  .
> > >    * GCC 8 snapshot, taken from the trunk 20180308 (r258348).
> > >    * Update GDC to 20180304.
> > >  .
> > >    [ Matthias Klose ]
> > >
> > >    * Remove the go patches for the Hurd. Unmaintained.
> >
> > Hi Mathias, the Hurd patches are not umaintained. The problem was that when
> > the switch from glibc for 2.25 to 2.26 in January-February I was AFK. And
> > glibc 2.26 broke the patches. Contacting the gccgo upstream and other Hurd
> > porters in beginning of, March, I found out how to modify the patches to
> > make the gccgo port of Hurd work again. I was just about to send you updated
> > patches when this new version arrived. I'll build gccgo again with version
> > 8-20180308-1 and send you a complete set of updated patches (even though
> > only some had to be modified): Is that OK?
>
> well, it's not just the two past months, the patches were not integrated for
> GCC 7 either. I'm not convinced that we should maintain these in the distro
> before they are landed at least in golang/GCC trunk.

FYI one of the patches for mksigtab.sh is already committed upstream. I'll send
the complete set of patches for gcc-8 in a separate mail to specifically gcc-
patches. The test results are even better than before, and some failures are
common to Linux. Hopefully upstream will accept the patches for GNU/Hurd this
time. And I hope you will include them in next snapshot of gcc-8 in the
meantime.

Looking at the build-depends of gcc-7, gcc-8-base is now a dependency. That
seems strange for me. Furthermore, in the changelogs of 7.3.0-2 and 7.3.0-3 you
write:
* Stop building more packages now built by gcc-8.

Which packages are referred to with the above line?

For example, building gcc-7 on GNU/Hurd:
--enable-languages=c,ada,c++,go,d,fortran,objc,obj-c++
and on gcc-8:
--enable-languages=c,ada,c++,go,d,fortran,objc,obj-c++
i.e. the same list!

With this in mind I don't understand the comment above nor the build-dependency
on gcc-8-base, which mailny gives the base directory structure for gcc-8??

Thanks!