Re: Issues with trying to build Debian x32 gcc with multilib support

On 17.08.2012 18:12, Daniel Schepler wrote:
> I've been making some good progress with bootstrapping Debian x32
> packages -- enough that I wanted to try adding -m64 and -m32 multilib
> support to the GCC package.  Previously, I had been building fine
> without multilib configuration, just adding a patch to incorporate
> changes from git hjl/x32/gcc-4_7-branch, updating the multiarch
> patches to add x86_64-linux-gnux32 as the multiarch path for -mx32
> mode, and adding "--with-abi=mx32" to the configure flags.
>
> But when I add "--with-abi=mx32 --with-multilib-list=mx32,m64,m32" to
> the configure flags, that makes the compilation fail.  What happens is
> that it never builds -m64 or -m32 versions of libgcc, so then of
> course the libgomp -m64 build fails.  Exactly the same configure
> command works with plain hjl/x32/gcc-4_7-branch, or with
> hjl/x32/gcc-4_7-branch after a git merge origin/gcc-4_7-branch, if I
> create compatibility symlinks /usr/lib32 -> /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu,
> etc.  That leads me to believe the issue must be somewhere in the
> Debian patches.

well, then try to disable the Debian patches until you find an offending patch.

> Any ideas where to look to see what could be causing this?  As another
> data point, when I tried configuring instead with "--with-abi=m64
> --with-multilib-list=m64,m32,mx32", it compiled -m64 and -mx32
> versions of libgcc, but not -m32.

look at the genmultilib output and at the gcc -print-multlib output.

> On a side note, instead of adding libx32gcc1 etc.,

I don't like the idea of having to cros-build-depend on other architectures, so
as a first step, I'd like to see these packages built.

do your patches work to build a triarch compiler on amd64/i386?

  Matthias