Re: Increasing minimum 'i386' processor

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 04:47:20PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Ben Hutchings writes ("Increasing minimum 'i386' processor"):
> > The 486-class processors that would no longer be supported are:
> > 1. All x86 processors with names including '486'
>
> I'm still running the machine below, and it would be irritating to
> have to replace it.

As Bastian says, this does not look like a 486.  The flags include
tsc msr cx8.

> Perhaps a better approach would be to suggest that people with shiny
> new hardware should be running amd64 kernels with i386 userland, or
> even amd64 (with multiarch i386 for proprietary crap that isn't
> available for amd64) ?
[...]

I believe Debian should now treat amd64 as the default architecture
for PCs.  The i386 installer does provide it as an option in expert
mode (though it's not on CD 1) but I'm not sure we're quite at the
point where it should be automatically selected.

In any case this is irrelevant to the question of optimising userland.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
                                                              - Albert Camus