Re: freeze exception for gcc-4.5 (i386, amd64 only)

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 11:34:51 (CEST), Neil McGovern wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 05:17:32PM +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
>> >I'm not sure there are any in the original, plugins and a greater
>> >optimisation level certainly aren't things which will solve specific
>> >problems. Could you highlight them for me?
>>
>> Having these features available for developers, and having not to
>> wait two years until these appear in a stable release is worth the
>> update.  Exposing a new compiler version to upstream developers
>> helps reducing the delta between upstream and debian packages. Yes I
>> think this is worth having it in squeeze.
>>

> I don't think that stable is the place for doing active development.

stable is in the place so that (upstream) developers can develop their
applications with hopefully state-of-the art tools.

>> >At the moment, I'm still not sure on the actual advantage of
>> >introducing this new package at this stage in the release cycle.
>>
>> well, currently I don't see any arguments against the upload, just
>> some feelings that could apply to any package.
>>

> That's kinda the point. These apply for any package, and especially so
> for a toolchain.
>
> Given that there doesn't seem to be any compelling reason for gcc4.5 in
> squeeze, I'm afraid it's not going to make it for this release.

 - gcc-4.5 brings many improvements (e.g., improved C++0x support) that
   help developers a lot during development.

 - applications developed with g++-4.5 require g++-4.5's runtime
   library, they won't *run* with g++-4.4's libstdc++6 package.

The second point appears very compelling to me since a considerable
demand during squeeze's lifetime can be expected because of the first
point.

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4