Re: freeze exception for gcc-4.5 (i386, amd64 only)

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 05:17:32PM +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
> >I'm not sure there are any in the original, plugins and a greater
> >optimisation level certainly aren't things which will solve specific
> >problems. Could you highlight them for me?
>
> Having these features available for developers, and having not to
> wait two years until these appear in a stable release is worth the
> update.  Exposing a new compiler version to upstream developers
> helps reducing the delta between upstream and debian packages. Yes I
> think this is worth having it in squeeze.

I don't think that stable is the place for doing active development.

> >You mentioned:
> >>- the upload will build several runtime libraries from the 4.5
> >>   sources.  Regression tests did pass for the runtime libs built
> >>   from the 4.5 sources and for 4.4 using the runtime libs from
> >>   4.5.
>
> This didn't answer my question. "Is there anything more you would expect?"

I was asking for details as to what these actually did. Are they just
"will the binary run?"

> >At the moment, I'm still not sure on the actual advantage of introducing this new package at this stage in the release cycle.
>
> well, currently I don't see any arguments against the upload, just
> some feelings that could apply to any package.

That's kinda the point. These apply for any package, and especially so
for a toolchain.

Given that there doesn't seem to be any compelling reason for gcc4.5 in
squeeze, I'm afraid it's not going to make it for this release.

Apologies,
Neil
--
* hermanr feels like a hedgehog having sex...