Why must libstdc++-dev depend on gcc?

Dear Experts,

It seems that the libstdc++-dev packages depend on a particular version of gcc/g++, e.g.

$ dpkg -s libstdc++6-4.1-dev
Package: libstdc++6-4.1-dev
[snip]
Depends: gcc-4.1-base (= 4.1.1-14), g++-4.1 (= 4.1.1-14), libstdc++6 (>= 4.1.1-14), libc6-dev (>= 2.3.6-7)

I can understand why g++ would depend on a particular version of libstdc++, but I'm confused by this dependency in the opposite direction. Why is it needed?

In my case, I have a small ARM system (an NSLU2) which runs Debian; I cross-compile for it from a Debian PC. The ARM system's root filesystem is visible using NFS from the PC, and the cross-compiler looks there for include files and libraries. In order to compile C++ programs I need the include files provided by the libstdc++-dev package, but I can't install these without also installing the native compiler, which I don't want.

Can anyone suggest a work-around?  Are these dependencies really necessary?

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Regards,  Phil.

(P.S. if you Cc: me, I'll see your reply sooner.)