Re: gcc-4.2-source : how to build from ?

yoram bar haim <bhyoram@zahav.net.il> writes:
> On Wednesday 18 July 2007 22:53:08 you wrote:
>> Red-penguin <bhyoram@zahav.net.il> writes:
>> > how do I build gcc from gcc-4.2-source ?
>> > should I do make -f rules.<rules_file> ?
>> >
>> > should I just untar, configure and make (does not seem logical) ?
>> > --
>>
>> It depends: do you want to rebuild the package from the official .dsc,
>> .orig.tar.gz and .diff.gz, or from the bleeding-edge packaging scripts?
>>
>> For the former, see
>> http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-pkg_basics.en.html#s-sourcebuild
>>
>> For the latter, see
>> http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/gcccvs/branches/sid/gcc-4.2/debian/README.mainta
>>iners?op=file&rev=0&sc=0
>
> I this the only diff ?

Diff between what and what?

> bleeding-edge or not is not the important issue for me, it's customization.
> I can see that it's not so difficult to customize regular debian/rules build
> by setting environment variables, but it always does not seem to me as the
> right way to do such things.

What would be the right way?

> I thoght (by mistake ?) that gcc-4.2-source will provide standart access to
> the customize & build scripts, something like the linux-source packages...

No, gcc-4.2-source does not contain the complete Debian build scripts.
It does however contain Makefile snippets which you can include in
your own Makefile, and of course, the upstream build scripts, as part
of /usr/src/gcc-4.2/gcc-20070712.tar.bz2.

HTH

--
Ludovic Brenta.