gcc and multiple lines yield error: missing terminating " character message

Hi all,
I'm not really sure if here's the right place for this post, but I
have a problem compiling my CGI apps with gcc ( version 4.0.2 20050808
(prerelease) (Ubuntu 4.0.1-4ubuntu9) ) on Ubuntu. I've been using gcc
version 4.0.3 20051201 (prerelease) (Debian 4.0.2-5) on my Debian
system and without any problem I was able to compile a code that
contains a segment like,

printf( "
<META HTTP-EQUIV='expires' CONTENT='0'>
<META HTTP-EQUIV='Cache-Control' CONTENT='no-cache'>
<META HTTP-EQUIV='Pragma' CONTENT='no-cache'>
" );

But using the gcc in ubuntu, it says error: missing terminating "
character and does not compile. I think that putting \ symbol at the
end of each line will solve this, but I have thousands of lines of
code, therefore it would not be a good idea, indeed.
What may be the problem/solution for this case? Thanks in advance.
Cem Vedat ISIK
cem@cemvedatisik.com
http://isik.net