Re: gfdl gcc documentation packages for non-free: update

Nikita V. Youshchenko writes:
> Hello.
>
> I've updated gcc-4.1 documentation packages (Section: non-free/doc).
> Packages are no longer debian-native, also several issues have been fixed.
>
> Also, I've created gcc-doc-defaults package (Section: contrib/doc) that
> builds gcc-doc, cpp-doc, gfortran-doc and treelang-doc packages with
> proper dependences and symlinks.
>
> Maintainer of all those packages is set to debian-gcc@lists.debian.org
>
> As for over version of gcc - packages for those that are currently in sid
> still contain gfdl documentation. So creation of proper non-free packages
> has to be postponed until this documentation is not removed from there.
>
> Currently packages are at
> http://zigzag.lvk.cs.msu.su/~nikita/debian/gcc-doc/
>
> I'm going to upload there (to non-free and contrib) in a day or two.
> Comments welcome.

some problems:

 - the man pages (all except gfortran.1) are not built from
   source. -> RC

 - the gfdl is not included in the man pages, nor the gfdl(7) man
   pages are shipped, violating the GFDL (dropping invariant
   sections). -> RC

 - the java man pages are not built

 - the libstdc++ docs are not built

 - the man pages are not up to date. you have to apply the patches
   from our sources.

for an alternative approach (somebody did volunteer to do that, but I
never heard again from this developer):

 - put the doc files from
   http://people.debian.org/~doko/gcc-4.1/gcc-4.1.1-doc.tar.bz2
   in a source tarball.

 - build-depend on gcc-4.1-source (including the -doc patches),
   build the package (bootstrap_target=all), then just package
   the documentation.

Matthias