Re: Moving 32-bit libraries to (/usr)/lib32 on amd64

On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 11:10:41AM -0700, Bdale Garbee wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 02:23 -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > If there's
> > consensus that putting this stuff in /usr/lib32 on amd64 is prettier than
> > /emul/ia32-linux, I see no reason not to move forward.
>
> My sense is that the "concensus" that exists is around FHS compliance.
> While I personally consider /usr/lib32 pretty ugly, I am sensitive to
> the fact that we have always tried to be FHS compliant in Debian.

FHS actually has a lib<qual> in it, where <qual> can be things
like 32 or 64.

For PPC64, s390x, sparc64 and AMD64 it says that 64 bit libraries
should be put in /lib64 and 32 bit version in /lib.

For IA64, it says 64 bit libraries should be put in /lib, but
doesn't say where 32 bit versions belong.  It says:
"IA-64 uses a different scheme, reflecting the deprecation of
32-bit binaries (and hence libraries) on that architecture."

I think 32 bit it makes sense to actually put 32 bit libraries on
ia64 in /lib32 too, instead of the current /emul/ia32-linux/, and
think it would be more inline with the FHS.  Is there a reason
it's using /emul/ia32-linux/ ?

So I would like both ia64 and amd64 to use /lib32.

> Looking over the open bug reports, it's well past time for another
> general update of ia32-libs.  I'll try to make time for it this week.

In the end, I'd like to get rid of ia32-libs, and have it be a
dummy package.  But on the other hand, I don't want to make a
biarch version of things like the X libraries.

PS: Does this really have to be on -release?

Kurt