Re: Moving 32-bit libraries to (/usr)/lib32 on amd64

On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 01:59:54AM +0100, Aurelien Jarno wrote:

> The amd64 port is currently providing 32-bit libraries via the ia32-libs
> package. This package was originally designed for ia64, and thus install
> 32-bit libraries in /emul/ia32-linux/ . This is not compliant with the
> FHS for amd64. Note also that this package does not rebuild the
> libraries, but use the ones in the i386 packages.

FWIW, I do consider the nasty architecture special-casing required of us by
the FHS to be a major reason why we should be trying to push forward with
multiarch.  There is no way to make an amd64 system comply with the current
FHS without munging every single library package to install to a different
path on amd64 than on all other architectures.  I'm told that Red Hat is
actually doing this, but I don't think it makes sense for us to go down that
route...

Since multiarch isn't solidifying very fast, though, it also doesn't make
sense to hold up improving ia32-libs while waiting for it.  If there's
consensus that putting this stuff in /usr/lib32 on amd64 is prettier than
/emul/ia32-linux, I see no reason not to move forward.

Ultimately, though, it would be really really nice if multiarch happened, so
that making a lib multiarch-safe only required adjusting the paths the
package installs to, consistently across *all* architectures, and no more
fiddling with package names and doing double-builds on each architecture and
so on...

Cheers,