Re: Friends cannot be protected or private

Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

>On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 11:18:56AM -0500, Adam Majer wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>I'm not on the list so please cc me any replies.
>>
>>I've noticed that friends cannot be protected or private anymore with
>>g++-3.4 and g++-4.0. Is this the correct behaviour? Why?
>>

>Yes, this is a correctness fix.  I'm afraid I don't know enough about
>C++ to explain why, but you can find a number of explanations in the
>gcc list archives.

I found one
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2005-01/msg01760.html

and a link from there to,
http://www.open-std.org/JTC1/SC22/WG21/docs/cwg_closed.html#209

I don't understand the reasons for using access control in the friend
statements except that it probably makes access control easier to write
and apply in the compiler (ie. less exceptions)

- Adam