Re: Status of debian-installer on PPC64

Martin Michlmayr - Debian Project Leader writes:
> This is a mail about a possible PPC64 port and how to get started; I
> removed some parts, and only include what is relevant to -gcc (the
> full message can be found on the -powerpc list).
>
> * Anton Blanchard <anton@samba.org> [2004-03-03 23:21]:
> > An overview of the current status:
> >
> > - 64bit 2.6 (straight from Linus) should compile and boot on G5, pseries
> [...]
> >
> > - binutils works with 64bit, in fact the current 32bit binutils in
> >   debian has 64bit support enabled (I requested that a while ago).
> >
> > - gcc-3.3 requires patches. This is the sticking point at the moment.
> >   The current repository for this is the SUSE 3.3 hammer branch, it
> >   includes all the required 64bit support as well. Does debian have a
> >   x86-64 toolchain? If so its probably the hammer branch and we can
> >   share with those packages. If not we can handle it a number of ways
> >   (eg patch against 3.3 mainline).

the amd64 port currently uses the 3.3 package, with biarch support
enabled. scanning the postings on debian-adm64 it seems to work.

> > - My understanding is gcc-3.4 will have all the necessary patches.

my understanding as well. 3.4 probably will be released in March.

> > - glibc works with 64bit
> >
> > On a related topic, 32bit ppc currently has no NPTL libc build because
> > some of the changes did not make it into gcc-3.3. Again the gcc-3.3
> > hammer branch or gcc-3.4 have the bits. I can understand the guys not
> > wanting to upset too much before the next release but we need to get
> > NPTL support in or we will be behind x64, x86-64, s390 and ia64. The
> > suggestion was to do some experimental gcc-3.3-hammer + libc6-nptl
> > packages. Maybe this could tie in with our ppc64 toolchains.

hmm, thought that was the gcc-3_3-rhl branch?

> Can we get those patches into GCC 3.3 or are those changes too
> intrusive?

from my understanding the NPTL support is only one difference in the
various 3.3 branches. If you can sort out this part ...

> What is the status of GCC 3.4, and are those patches in
> our gcc-snapshot package?

gcc-snapshot has nearly no additional patches applied to be able to
track the upstream status.

you can find experimental gcc-3.4 packages stuck in the NEW queue (and
on http://people.debian.org/~doko/gcc-3.4).

Do you want to have gcc-3.4 for sarge?

Cons:

- New libstdc++, so you probably do no want to mix C++ code compiled
  with 3.3 and 3.4.

- The library package libgcc on all architectures but hppa and m68k is
  built by 3.4 instead of 3.3. Checked on i386, works ok as a
  replacement for the one currently built from the 3.3 sources. Needs to
  be checked for other architectures.

  On m68k and hppa the exception model changed from sjlj based
  exceptions to dwarf2 based exceptions (therefore libgcc2 is built).
  Both cannot be mixed.

- The library packages libobjc1, libg2c0 and libffi2 are built by 3.4
  instead of 3.3. The ObjC, Fortran77 and Java compilers could be
  disabled.

  Disabling the protoize, fixincludes and fastjar packages is not a
  problem.

- Not yet fixed library ABIs, so these may change until the final
  3.4 release.

- Base packages will be frozen soon.

Pros:

- see your arguments above

- gij/gcj for all architectures (new for mips/mipsel, improved for at
  least hppa).