Re: Status of debian-installer on PPC64

This is a mail about a possible PPC64 port and how to get started; I
removed some parts, and only include what is relevant to -gcc (the
full message can be found on the -powerpc list).

* Anton Blanchard <anton@samba.org> [2004-03-03 23:21]:
> An overview of the current status:
>
> - 64bit 2.6 (straight from Linus) should compile and boot on G5, pseries
[...]
> - binutils works with 64bit, in fact the current 32bit binutils in
>   debian has 64bit support enabled (I requested that a while ago).
>
> - gcc-3.3 requires patches. This is the sticking point at the moment.
>   The current repository for this is the SUSE 3.3 hammer branch, it
>   includes all the required 64bit support as well. Does debian have a
>   x86-64 toolchain? If so its probably the hammer branch and we can
>   share with those packages. If not we can handle it a number of ways
>   (eg patch against 3.3 mainline).
>
> - My understanding is gcc-3.4 will have all the necessary patches.
>
> - glibc works with 64bit
>
> On a related topic, 32bit ppc currently has no NPTL libc build because
> some of the changes did not make it into gcc-3.3. Again the gcc-3.3
> hammer branch or gcc-3.4 have the bits. I can understand the guys not
> wanting to upset too much before the next release but we need to get
> NPTL support in or we will be behind x64, x86-64, s390 and ia64. The
> suggestion was to do some experimental gcc-3.3-hammer + libc6-nptl
> packages. Maybe this could tie in with our ppc64 toolchains.

Can we get those patches into GCC 3.3 or are those changes too
intrusive?  What is the status of GCC 3.4, and are those patches in
our gcc-snapshot package?
--
Martin Michlmayr
leader@debian.org