Re: RFS:cross-compiler package

On Wednesday 18 August 2004 11:28, you wrote:
> Hello.
>
> FYI:
> I've been maintaining cross-compiler build support in gcc-3.3 and gcc-3.4
> source packages. Currently gcc-3.3 should build out of the box for all
> debian targets, and gcc-3.4 needs a bit of syncronization; i'll do my best
> to bring everything to working state ASAP.
>
> Can't you use debs built from gcc source packages?
My original intent with cross-compilers was to build a ppc64 kernel for a IBM
p615. Since this is not supported debian architecture I did not look at the
gcc debian dir for help :(

> If your targets are not supported yet, maybe we should coordinate to add
> the support?

Maybe, but I see the following advantage at using crosstool:

1) simple build-depends: do not need to use dpkg-cross to convert some
packages. (idea: is it possible to integrate apt and dpkg-cross so that
"apt-get --arch ppc install libc6-dev" works?)

2) crosstool has a very active mailing list dedicated only to cross-compiling

3) one dpkg-buildpackge execution will generate all the binary packages

I admit that the it is a big problem to keep all packages synchronised. This
problem can be lessened by including debian's diffs in the crosstool source
package and using the patched sources to build.

So i thing that the "perfect" solution would be:
1) integrate apt-get and dpkg-cross
2) make the binutils source package generate all cross-binutils packages
3) make the gcc source package generate all cross-gcc packages
4) have all gcc and binutils cross packages in the pool

the crosstool package appears to be a good temporary solution to me.

Thanks for yours comments.

Rafael