Re: powerpc64 gcc compiler ...

On Sat, Apr 03, 2004 at 04:09:41PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 03, 2004 at 09:02:32AM +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
> > Sven Luther writes:
> > > That said, i have close to zero deep understanding on how glibc and gcc
> > > interact on this issue, and what is going on about libgcc. I am told by
> > > the #ppc64 folk that i should compile gcc with the ppc64 target, but
> > > have it default to 32bit code by default. My early tries for this try to
> > > generate a lib64gcc1, and fails, as you said. Do you have any wisdom to
> > > share with me about why this is the case ?
> >
> > comment out the --disable-multilib in debian/rules2, add a patch not
> > to build the -nof libraries and disable some biarch libraries (see the
> > sparc-config-ml patch for an example).
>
> I would like to ask a question about this. lib64gcc1 should contain the
> needed stuff for the ppc64 target and is thus needed in this case, or is
> it that since we are building a biarch compiler, it is not needed since
> the appropriate code is moved to the libgcc1 library ?

Thanks Matthias for hinting me in the right direction. It seems that
setting biarch on powerpc is not enough, and that
--target=powerpc64-linux is needed to continue the build.

Now, i have reached a second step of the build, where i need some
direction from the glibc folk, or other person interested on this. I
have not yet looked at the glibc package though.

Basically, to build the full gcc package with ppc64 support, the ppc64
glibc and kernel headers are needed too, in addition to the ppc32 ones
we already have. Now since a 64bit gcc is needed for building the ppc64
glibc, ...

I was told that it is possible to only build the glibc headers with make
install-headers, without having the appropriate gcc yet, which may solve
this.

What is the commone practice to solve this circular dependency problem
with regard to debian packages ?

BTW, my intentions are to build this whole stuff in experimental, so
there should be no 'let's wait for after the sarge release' or such
involved here.

Friendly,

Sven Luther