Re: TLS. nptl and gcc/glibc/binutils

On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 02:18:01PM +0900, GOTO Masanori wrote:

> > My thought is that gcc-3.3 will be out soon enough for us to use that.

> But for future coming stable gcc-3.3, we should start to support tls
> and nptl, and I already start to investigate.  I think we should have
> two libc6: libc6-linuxthreads (linuxthreads) and libc6-nptl (nptl).
> This means that now the name libc6 becomes virtual package or
> something.

I haven't investigated - does the core glibc library actually change
based on each add on?  It would be nice to have just the pthreads change
for two reasons:

Less to switch from one to the other, and it would be interesting to be
able to use apt-cache to show which packages used pthreads.

> > The biggest problem is that Debian's kernels don't have futex
> > support.  I've heard that RedHat has some solution for automatically
> > detecting which they should use, but I don't know anything about it.

> I hope someone intent to package redhat9's 2.4 Ingo's backport patch.
> BTW, I use the latest kernel on my some machines, so it's not problem
> for me.

I keep wondering why it's not been accepted upstream.  I don't follow
Linux kernel development anymore, so I don't know the story.

Tks,
Jeff Bailey

--
You said homosexuals form a small percentage of the population.  So
do Jews.  Is that a reason to deny someone equality?