Re: GCC 3.2 transition

Matthew Wilcox <willy@debian.org> writes:

> All of them?  I sw someone do a count and there were around 1000 packages
> currently in the archive.  10%.  Per architecture.  Is Jeff really going
> to bNMU all of these packages on the same day for all architectures?

I think this is the plan. You'll have to ask him for specifics; I
think the plan incorporates doing one architecture at a time.

> What will that do to auric's disc space and our network traffic?
> This doesn't sound like a plan, it sounds like the absence of a
> plan.

It is a strategy that requires a minimum of manual intervention, so I
think it is a good strategy - much better than requiring every single
maintainer of each of the 1000 packages to act in a coordinated way,
and ending up with an infrastructure that is incompatible to anybody
else's gcc 3.2 applications.

If temporary breakage of some applications is acceptable, you can
spread this over a couple of days, by tsorting the 1000 packages.

Regards,
Martin