Re: gcc 3.2.1 in sid?

On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 11:50:06PM +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
> Jack Howarth writes:
> >    Now that glibc 2.3.1 is in sid, what are the plans
> > for the transition to gcc 3.2.1?
>
> we are waiting for an transition plan. My assumption was Jeff would
> propose a transition plan for a _coordinated_ transition of glibc and
> gcc. It seems a bit late for that :-(

Well, glibc can be built with gcc-3.2, but the arch still can use
gcc-2.95, so organizing things seemed uneeded.

> >From my point of view we have to finish the g++ transition plan first
> (and if our transition plan is to simply switch and recompile ...).
> Using gXX-2.95 to link object code built with gcc-3.2 asks for
> trouble:

glibc compiled with gcc-3.2 and using gcc-2.95 for the standard compiler
has been proven to work. Glibc provides special functionality to cope
with this situation.

--
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://www.linux1394.org/