Re: GCC 3.2 on the NetBSD/i386 port

On Mon, Sep 02, 2002 at 08:18:01AM +0200, Martin v. Loewis wrote:
> Joel Baker <lucifer@lightbearer.com> writes:
>
> > # of expected passes            5176
> > # of unexpected failures        1114
> > # of expected failures          977
> > # of untested testcases         15
> > # of unsupported tests          3
>
> Those you should look at, first. gcc creates a detailed log file of
> all test cases; I don't know whether this survives the Debian build
> process, though - it's in <objdir>/gcc/testsuite. If you still have
> that, please post the details for three or four failures (preferably
> those that make up the majority of the 1000 failures).

It does not appear to have survived the build process. However, see the
further notes below.

> > This is my current suspect, especially because I have some vague
> > recollections of a comment that NetBSD native may not have
> > libgcc_s.so.1 when using GCC 3.x, or somesuch. Though the gcc test
> > suite seems to work fine, just not the G++ one - is libgcc_s.so only
> > used for C++?
>
> gcc does not link libgcc_s to to C executables, no - only to C++
> executables, and to shared libraries (any language).
>
> For C, it is sufficient to use the routines from the static libgcc
> (mostly divdi3 and friends) - the shared library is only needed when
> the implementations use global variables (mostly for exception
> handling).

It may well be related, then. We'll see. However, in trying to debug the
situation, I ran into an interesting quirk.

uname -p on the platform is, for whatever reason, broken (something I must
hunt down and fix later). I didn't notice this until trying to do a manual
build (to prevent the cleanup step at the end, and get a set of testsuite
logs) - but it's configuring as 'unknown-unknown-netbsdelf1.6.' instead of
'i386-unknown-netbsdelf1.6.' (the trailing dot appears to be a an intential
rewrite in config.guess, related to the version in uname being 1.6_RC2
rather than just 1.6).

I've dropped in a working uname for now, and I'll see if it lets me build
manually, with shared libgcc disabled. If *that* works, I'll try it again
with shared libgcc enabled. I'll post the results once I have something
useful (either a working build, or a test suite failure log...)
lucifer@lightbearer.com              http://users.lightbearer.com/lucifer/