Re: libstdc++ compatibility between Linux distributions

On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 12:29:50AM +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I vaguely remember of some effort to make libstdc++ libraries
> compatible between Linux distributions. However the only message I can
> find is
>
>      http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/libstdc++/2002-02/msg00080.html
>
> Please could you point me to someone/some place, where Debian could
> join the discussion? Or does some Debian guy already join this
> discussion?

Well, that particular discussion is essentially over.  It was two months
ago, after all.

If you have questions about libstdc++, the best place to ask is probably
the libstdc++ list itself.

Joe's wording of "if the major GNU/Linux distributors can all sign up to
this" isn't referring to an actual list of distributors who have formally
registered.  Basically, what we're hoping is that distro vendors will read
that email thread, and decide to /not/ make any downstream changes that
would break this plan.

(I'm still not certain what the term "compatability libraries" refers to
in the context of a Linux distribution.  It means something rather unique
where I work, and I've never been a distro vendor/system-integrator.)

Note that ELF symbol versioning on libsupc++/sibstdc++ is in place for 3.1.

Phil