Re: gcc-3.0 snapshot...

On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 03:14:50PM -0400, Ben Collins wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 01:10:30PM -0500, Gordon Sadler wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 12:43:16PM -0400, Ben Collins wrote:
> > > For the first time I was able to compile the gcc-3.0 CVS and build glibc
> > > 2.2.3pre1 with it on sparc-linux. Even more so, there were no errors
> > > from the glibc make check, and the library installed without any
> > > problems.
> > >
> > > I noticed that right now, libc.so.6 does not link with libgcc.so, which
> > > is a good thing.
> > >
> > > What I want to do is upload the current snapshot I have (since I know it
> > > to be working) into unstable. Hppa and ia64 require gcc-3.0, and I want
> > > to also get started on a libc6-64 for ultrasparc.
> > >
> > > Any objections, comments or other patches anyone wants to include?
> > >
> > As a daily user/upgrader on unstable, I enjoy being a guinea pig -), I
> > would hope that you get feedback from the gcc maintainer(M. Klose?) at a
> > minimum, before uploading gcc-3.0 to unstable.
>
> Matthias has already turned over gcc-3.0 maintainence to a group of
> about 9 of us, all on this list, which is why I posted here (which
> includes Matthias). Matthias remains maintainer of gcc-2.95, solely.

Ok, IANADD -), try to keep up with Debian, but some of the internals
escape me...
I 'accidently' found this list via a mention on deb-dev, I think this
list is new, perhaps incidental to gcc-3.0 maintenance?

> > I've been tracking/bootstrapping gcc-3.0 for a couple months now, it
> > would be very beneficial for you to mention the date of your snapshot?
> > Gordon Sadler
>
> gcc-3.0 has been project/experimental for quite some time. The current
> snapshot I am working from and uploading is as of April 2nd, 2001.

Good, that puts it very current, as of now anyway -). There were some
problems with the bootstrap just prior to this weekend. libstdc++ was
failing, trying to link the so with g++ (which added -lstdc++ -(( )

Has anyone at Debian looked into building gcj/libgcj without having gcj
presently installed? Is it a problem/issue with Debian's packages, or is
gcj/libgcj not part of this proposal?

There was/is a problem building libjava, it was not being passed the
proper -I flags to use libstdc++-v3 headers during compilation. I
haven't seen this resolved yet in gcc CVS. There are patches to correct
for this on the mailing list, but AFAIR they haven't been committed to
branch yet.

Gordon Sadler