Re: building gcc cross compilers

On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 10:32:56PM +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
> David Schleef writes:
>  >
>  > What is the status of building cross compilers with the
>  > debian source packages?  I can get them to build after
>  > fighting with it for a while, but it's a bit fragile.
>  > It appears as though building cross compilers worked in
>  > the recent past, but that changes have been made that break
>  > it -- is someone maintaining this, or should I step up
>  > to do it?
>
> for gcc-2.95.3, building cross compilers should work ok. You need to
> set the TARGET in the rules files and you are done. You may want to
> contact Steve for further information. The patch for the rules file
> comes from the Emdebian project. Cross compilers are built together
> with the native compiler, so it becomes a problem if you want to build
> many cross compilers.

Do you mean to set TARGETS, not TARGET?

Also, just to check, I find that I need to have the following
installed, in addition to the typical Build-Depends:
  binutils-multiarch,
  binutils-${target},
  {libc6,libc6-dev}-*_${target}.deb, appropriate mangled by dpkg-cross,
  /usr/lib/gcc-lib/2.95.3/${target}-linux/include, extracted from
      the native ${target} build and hand-installed.
The last seems to be a bit sketchy, but it seems to work.  Of
course, if you already have a cross-compiler installed, those
files already exist.  Are there any other packages I'm missing?

With this, I seem to be able to get to the point of dh_movefiles
for the cross packages, in which it seems to fail due to expecting
non-versioned package names.  More on this later -- I'm rebuilding
because I accidentally blew away the build log.

Is there a known version where the cross building worked, assuming
that I'm not just doing things wrong?

dave...