Re: please resend the message

On Wed, Mar 29, 2000 at 01:02:45PM +0000, Vincent Renardias wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, Fabrizio Polacco wrote:
>
> > Can you please resend me the message including the french manpage, as
> > I cannot extract it from the format used bu DBS to forward archived
> > messages (I didn't get it automatically).
>
> Attached.

Got it, thanx.
Now ... let's see ...
... you are joking, isn't it?

Vincent, please, don't misunderstand me, but ...
... I  have been always complaining that the franch pages were missing,
now you send me two pages (apropos and whatis ... and man? and mandb?).

Look:
$ man -l apropos.1 | cat -s | wc
Reformatting apropos.1, please wait...
     23      66     730

$ man apropos | cat -s | wc
    131     527    5669

The first one is the page you sent me, the second one is the original
page. Do you think that one is the translation of the other?

The same:

2$ man -l whatis.1 | cat -s | wc
Reformatting whatis.1, please wait...
    28      75     826

$ man whatis | cat -s | wc
Reformatting whatis(1), please wait...
    116     482    5164

A huge difference, isn't it?

Now let's dive into the content. whatis says:

	La base de données whatis est créée en utilisant  la  com­
	mande /usr/sbin/makewhatis.

Can you locate this command on your Debian system?
I suppose not. you need a RedHat system for this.

Please, can anybody translate the man-db manual pages into french?
(For woody. it's too late now to put them in potato!)

fab