[Freedombox-discuss] Steps for integrating in Monkeysphere to Freedombox

On 2015-12-21 at 09:24:26 +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> I agree we should get PGP/GPG stuff into the default Freedombox setup,
> and I would really love it for us ot support OpenPGP smart cards out of
> the box, allowing us to store the GPG key on the box in a way that would
> block it from being easily copied out of the box.
>
> My initial testing using gpg2 and a smart card on Raspberry Pi did not
> work.  I never had time to check why not, and hope the issue will not
> block me from using GPG with RPI as my FreedomBox.

working from a clean debian stretch install (basic jessie install
distupgraded before installing xorg etc.) getting a smart card to work
was extremely easy, with one HUGE caveat: the smart card reader had to
be one of the few models supported without binary blobs.

my first attempt used a smart card reader labeled as working under linux
by the producer, but that meant installing their own proprietary
drivers, which of course I didn't. (maybe it would have worked, but
it didn't loook like a good idea.)

I think that making it supported out of the box isn't going to involve
lots of changes.

Lately on the planet_ debian there have been a few posts about using a
yubikey (which AFAIK implements an OpenPGP smartcard) and both a regular
card and GnuK work in a very similar way, so most of the tutorials can
be adapted.

.. _planet: http://planet.debian.org/
--
Elena ``of Valhalla''