[Freedombox-discuss] Kerberos and remctl instead of exmachina?

Quoting Petter Reinholdtsen (2013-09-03 08:08:00)
> [Jonas Smedegaard]
> > I am still unfamiliar with exmachina, but seems to me that its
> > purpose is to handle execution of cross-account yet same-host,
> > whereas purpose of remctl seems to be remote-host execution.
>
> Yes.
>
> > Seems wrong for me to expect non-technical users of some "black box"
> > to be in possesion of Kerberos-enabled systems needed for
> > controlling their box.
>
> My idea was to use Kerberos also locally using a keytab file to store
> the password (instead of the current approach, which is storing the
> password in some home made mechanism), while providing two extra and
> useful services - kerberos and remctl.
>
> Part of the reason was that exmachina isn't used anywhere else, and do
> not seem to get much upstream attention, which made me worry about the
> sustainability of the solution.
>
> A few days ago I wrote to Bryan Newbold about merging rules to make a
> Debian package:
>
> [Petter Reinholdtsen]
> > Hi.  I just made a branch with the changes needed to create a deb of
> > exmachina, to make it easier to set up a freedombox using deb
> > packages.  Please have a look at <URL:
> > http://gitorious.org/exmachina/petterreinholdtsens-exmachina > and
> > consider including it in the "official" version of exmachina.
>
> I got this fairly surprising reply (checked with him if it was OK to
> quote him here :):
>
> [Bryan Newbold]
> > There is no "official" version of exmachina, it was only a thought
> > experiment to solicit feedback. I have removed the repository from
> > github to prevent future use of the example code; you are of course
> > welcome to re-implement the concept, though I never received enough
> > feedback to convince myself that it was a good idea.
>
> So the "upstream" repository is gone, and the source now live in a
> brach with Nick and me, I guess. :)
>
> I suspect we are better of finding some alternative, preferably
> something also used elsewhere. :)

Fully acknowledged.

Regarding use of remctl for this, that sounds heavyweight to me.  Why is
password storage needed at all?  If this is about providing trusted
access from a web interface to changing config files, then it seems to
me with *any* trust-gaining method that the real issue is in limiting
how big a door we leave open, and seems to me we don't need Kerberos at
all.

What I am thinking is a CGI interface run as an isolated user (e.g. via
uwsgi or apache2-suexec) talking to debconf.  I don't see how Kerberos
kan strengthen security - only complicate the setup adding amount of
potential attack vectors.

For a GeekBox I would find it a quite interesting approach to use remctl
- but not for a FreedomBox (i.e. a box for non-geeks with no sysadmin).

 - Jonas