[Freedombox-discuss] Kerberos and remctl instead of exmachina?

Quoting Petter Reinholdtsen (2013-09-01 14:16:56)
> Hi.  Would it be an idea to provide Kerberos authentication in
> freedombox, and use remctl instead of exmachina for root execution?
>
> The exmachina source seem to be fairly new and unproven, while remctl
> is already used in production at Stanford, see <URL:
> http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/journal/2013-08/003.html > for a blog post
> about this usage.  Kerberos have the advantage of never sending the
> password over the net, and providing support for single sign on for
> services that support it.

I am still unfamiliar with exmachina, but seems to me that its purpose
is to handle execution of cross-account yet same-host, whereas purpose
of remctl seems to be remote-host execution.

Seems wrong for me to expect non-technical users of some "black box" to
be in possesion of Kerberos-enabled systems needed for controlling their
box.

...but I suspect I am simply missing something obvious here...

 - Jonas