[Freedombox-discuss] Virtualbox stuff

Hey yall,

We recently had a meetup here in Seattle and I had a few resources to
reccomend that may make virtualbox life a little easier, particularly
for development but also in general:

http://vagrantup.com/v1/docs/index.html

Some prebuit vagrant boxes (you guys should make a freedom box one:
http://www.vagrantbox.es/

I hate cloud services, but I really like the idea of DIY clouds,
vagrant is pretty useful for building and prototyping them. I use
Chef-Server and Chef-Solo a lot for provisioning.

My home network is run entirely on virtualbox. I have 3 different
routers, 1 to comcast, 1, to ipredator.se, and another router to prq.se.
I use a laptop as a virtualhost  and substitute USB network adapters for
additional ethernet adapters which you can bridge separately in your
Vagrantfile. I also have my mail server, web app server, and shell
server running on virtualbox and I use vagrant to manage it all. None of
the VM's are accessible by ssh except from my personal VPN server into
my network that runs on the comcast server.

For production vagrant is not that great, I'm actually considering
using an init script that basically starts and suspends VM's using
VBoxManage (apparently, you can start VBoxHeadless instances with manage
and its better to do it that way):

http://charlesa.net/scripts/linux/vboxscript.php

If you do a search for virtualbox init script there's a few of them out
there. look for one that uses VBoxManage though.

Currently the laptop I'm using as my virtualhost has a busted screen,
and the install of ubuntu on the drive is encrypted. I've been hooking
it into my TV to get access to fvwm for all the times I've had to start
a VM in gui mode to fix it. Remote X works sometimes. In the future I
plan on upgrading my router laptop and:

- getting rid of the mechanical harddrive
- adding a USB hub
- adding USB SDIO card slots (for SD cards and raid 1 of the virtualbox
OS)
- I'm also only going to be using this server for routers in the
future.