[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox/Unhosted/PageKite for Access Innovation Prize 2012

On 10 July 2012 14:05, Bjarni R?nar Einarsson <bre at pagekite.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 11:56 AM, Melvin Carvalho
> <melvincarvalho at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 10 July 2012 13:44, Michiel de Jong <michiel at unhosted.org> wrote:
> >
> > Sorry for being a bit slow, I'm trying to understand the pagekite
> proposal
> > better.
>
> Please don't call it a "pagekite proposal".  The initiative came from
> Markus and Michiel, and pagekite is only a (potential) part of it.

Got it, thanks.

> > Is it based on a user's own certificate, or some other certificate, or a
> > proxy?
>
> Are you asking for a description of how PageKite works?  The
> ultra-short summary is that PageKite defines a protocol and software
> which lets a web server "connect to" or become "part of"  the web,
> even if it doesn't have a public IP.  It does so using an encrypted
> tunnel to a specialized reverse proxy.  The reverse proxy can do
> helpful things such as terminate incoming SSL connections with a
> wild-card certificate, before re-encrypting the traffic that travels
> over the tunnel.  Alternately, PageKite can also proxy end-to-end
> HTTPS traffic which is more secure (the relay cannot see or modify the
> traffic stream) but harder to set up (the origin web server needs its
> own domain and certificiate).

Thanks for the explanation.  In practical terms, where, typically
would/could this reverse proxy run?

One of the fundamental motivations for freedombox is for a user to keep
their own logs.  Therefore, if I've understood correctly, trust in the
reverse proxy would need to be paramount?