[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox as a home router to replace Cisco/Linksys

On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 15:45:00 -0700 (PDT)
Jonathan Wilkes <jancsika at yahoo.com> wrote:

[snip]
> It could if the ISP contract allows the user to hook up their own
> router and it isn't a double-NAT setup.
>
> I know some ISPs like to charge for hooking up more than one machine,
> meaning the user basically pays for them to bring a wireless router
> and plug it in to their dsl modem or whatever.? In my own limited
> experience the ISPs I've used haven't done any checking that would
> lock you in to only using the router they provide, but I guess some
> of them probably make you register a MAC address with them to get
> service.? I know a lot of universities do that.
>
> I think from the user perspective, plugging in a FB _behind_ what
> their ISP already has installed is way easier to set up and
> immediately start using, but less powerful (I'm thinking of the setup
> discussed recently where it's basically piggybacking over Tor make
> connections).? Of course replacing one's router with a FB-- if there
> isn't a double-NAT-- opens up many more possibilities for what you
> can do with it.
>
> Maybe the best of both worlds would be to make the UI for the easy
> solution (i.e., FB behind the router), at least initially.? Even
> though it's less power for the non-techie user, it's less potential
> frustration.? (A FB that the user can't get working certainly won't
> improve their privacy.) Then if people want to set up more advanced
> services, they can ssh into the machine, and of course as some of
> those service get tested and easy to set up/use they can eventually
> be merged into the UI.
>

> It's going to be running Debian, right?
>
> -Jonathan

I see. Interesting. I have Time Warner and have to use the device they
provide. By default it's a wireless router with NAT. It can be
configured for just pass-through, though, which is what I've done --
"bridging mode".

It would be interesting to know what percentage of potential FreedomBox
users are required by their ISP to use an ISP provided device for NAT.
Anybody have any numbers or guesstimates for this? Or, any ideas on how
to find this out?

For those in this situation, seems this would be something for an added
service later, to tunnel through and avoid spying.

Or, ideally, find another ISP.