[Freedombox-discuss] FOAF developers taking FreedomBox into their equation

On Wed, Mar 09, 2011 at 10:29:06PM +0000, Clint Adams wrote:
>On Wed, Mar 09, 2011 at 09:09:25PM +0100, Henry Story wrote:
>>   I am also currently chairing the WebID incubator group at the W3C,
>>   so if you have WebID questions don't hesitate to ping me, or join
>>   the W3C mailing list and ping there.
>

>I hope that in the long run we are going to want to rid ourselves of
>any dependence on centralized DNS and SSL certificate authorities.
>Is WebID going to have any features to facilitate this or are we going
>to need to have a separate CA certificate for each client or server
>certificate, and a bunch of out-of-band validation hacks to ensure
>that these SSL certificates and FOAF profiles are actually owned
>and controlled by the people we expect them to be?

WebID rely on DNS, but do not require _centralized_ DNS.

WebID use SSL certificates, but do not require _centralized_ certificate
authorities, Actually, due to requiring an unusual additional hint, some
centralized CA autorities including CAcert.org cannot currently provide
WebID compatible certificates.

  - Jonas