[Freedombox-discuss] Quick self introduction

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 09:53:39AM +0800, Harish Pillay 9v1hp wrote:
>I've just signed up to the mailiing list and here's a quick self-intro.

[details snipped]

Welcome aboard! :-D

>Skills:
>a) coding - I code in C and python.
>d) hardware: I dabble in microcontrollers (PIC etc) and
>    for the last two years, it has been the arduino
>c) teaching: I have been running an annual 39-hr 3-credit
>    open source elective course at a local university since
>    2006. cpe802.pbworks.com has the contents.  I am
>    planning on introducing Arduino into this class for
>    2011.
>
>So, where can I help with Freedom Box?

At the moment, as you might have noticed already from the wiki pages and
this list, there are many ideas and proposals for _pieces_ of the puzzle
but little structure of it.

Some have proposed to draft and democratically to vote for a more
detailed plan of tasks, and appoint volunteers for each of them.  Sorry
if I am summarizing this badly - others please fill in here!

I group it as this: software + hardware + design

Regarding software:

To me the main structure is already there - it is Debian.  True, Debian
do not magically equal a FreedomBox, but an obvious task to me is
composing a set of packages that work well together, try install them as
a rolled out system (on any computer, not necessarily a plug device) and
find a configuration of it that is sensible for a device intended to
basically be running fully automated.  I have posted recently an example
of how this process of refining a composition of packages + configs
using live-build, and made a couple of attempts at arguing why I believe
this to be most sane approach.

There are also numerous underlying projects quite interesting for
inclusion in FreedomBox but not yet ready.  I don't call that "working
on FreedomBox" but it is crucial anyway - as is working on any bugs in
Debian that might affect the FreedomBox.  Most discussions so far has
been on these exciting potential additions for a future FreedomBox.  If
you feel that they are crucial for a first incarnation of FreedomBox
rather than using existing pieces already in Debian, then devote your
time there!

Regarding hardware:

Engage with the Emdebian team!  Sounds like you have some pretty cool
skills in this are, and I am sure they can use your help optimizing the
various tasks on best integrating a Debian system into such extremely
low-resource environments (because that is what embedded is: even if you
think you can just wait for next revision of plug devices which has a
faster CPU and more memory, more resources means more power consumption
and that is working against a core[1] goal of FreedomBox).

Regarding design:

I am not a designer. I have ideas on how to design this thing but
deliberately keep quiet (for now, at least) on that part to make room
for others deling more competent in that area.

  - Jonas

[1] Anything I write here is my own opinions, not necessarily shared
with everyone.  I dare assume it is a core goal of FreedomBox to be
_very_ low-power and not just _adequately_ low-power. I.e. to actively
work on reducing resource requirements, not just expect the boxes
automagically to be (literally) cool.