[Freedombox-discuss] Addressing

2010/9/2 Bjarni R?nar Einarsson <bre at beanstalks-project.net>:
> 2010/9/2 Jon Spriggs <jon at sprig.gs>
>>
>> 2010/9/2 Bjarni R?nar Einarsson <bre at beanstalks-project.net>:
>> > Although I think it would be great if Freedom Boxes came preconfigured
>> > and
>> > able to use Tor, I do think that if whatever gets built ends up being
>> > incompatible with normal web browsers and e-mail clients, then it will
>> > never
>> > get any traction and will never achieve its goals.? If I can only
>> > connect
>> > and communicate with other Freedom Box users, then there is no reason to
>> > buy
>> > such a box in the first place. Chicken and egg.? We have to be
>> > "backwards
>> > compatible" with the "normal Internet".
>>
>> Personally, I think that for the most part, I'd expect, from home, to
>> be accessing the front end without it connecting over TOR and only be
>> using TOR when I'm outside of home - essentially, only using it from
>> untrusted locations - essentially what I'd use TOR Hidden Services for
>> on the whole.
>
> Sure, if you are the only person who ever accesses your server, that's
> perfectly reasonable.
>
> I however have this desire to run my own web-server, my blog, my home-page,
> my photo-album - all on a Freedom Box (or just my Linux server, since I know
> how to set one up), where all the data is under my control, in my house.? I
> also might want to run my own SMTP server, so mail can be delivered directly
> to me... I want my box to be reachable using traditional protocols from the
> rest of the world, so I can share stuff with my friends and family who
> haven't discovered TOR yet and haven't got Freedom Boxes of their own.
>
> So that's what I'm working on.
>
> We are probably just thinking about completely separate use-cases, and I
> suspect both are perfectly valid. :-)

Ah, I understand what you mean now... For some reason, I envisaged the
services being provided on the FreedomBox as being Social Networking
style devices, where all the server-to-server communication was being
done over the TOR network (where feasible), as is non-local
administrative access.

Public access to one of these services would be either from your own
local FreedomBox (as a server-to-server conversation) or via whatever
public DNS address you configure on your router.
--
Jon "The Nice Guy" Spriggs