Re: Font Awesome embeded in 312 Debian packages

On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 8:57 PM Raphaël BAZAUD wrote:

> if my analysis is correct that means we currently have 312 (dismissing fonts-font-awesome, which is the rightful «owner» of the file) packages that choose to embed the font instead of using a dependency. Obviously there is little chance that someone would need all of the 312 packages at the same point in time but is this situation somehow to be expected or does something should be done to fix it ? In which case I would be OK contacting the different maintainers but I've got no official Debian position right now...

This is pretty normal for fonts, people don't treat them as
dependencies, just something to chuck in and ignore from then on.

In case you want to file bugs, we have a template you can use here:

https://wiki.debian.org/Fonts/Bugs/duplicate

Personally, I think embedded code, data, font copies should be
reported by lintian so that bugs don't have to be filed for people to
notice and fix the issue. The duplicate-font-file lintian tag can
probably be extended to also check for Font Awesome. The
font-in-non-font-package tag also triggers for this issue.

https://lintian.debian.org/tags/duplicate-font-file.html
https://lintian.debian.org/tags/font-in-non-font-package.html

Please note that "This tag has not been emitted in any package tested
by Lintian." is only because the lintian service is experiencing
issues at the moment.

PS: I've just added a link to the lintian tag from the embedded copies page.

https://wiki.debian.org/EmbeddedCopies

--
bye,
pabs