Re: fonts-sil-scheherazadenew_3.000-1_amd64.changes REJECTED

Hi Bobby,

Quoting Bobby de Vos (2020-11-18 15:14:14)
> On 2020-11-17 3:48 p.m., Sean Whitton wrote:

> >> The OFL states in the file OFL.txt that "font software" can include
> >> documentation. The file in question is not so much documentation of the
> >> font as it is documentation of the license.
> >>
> >> I am still confused. Do the concerns of ftpmaster also apply to
> >> FONTLOG.txt, README.txt, OFL.txt and documentation and examples in the
> >> documentation and web folders?
> >
> > What I wrote was not as clear as it could have been, sorry.
> >
> > Yes, certainly the OFL can be taken to apply to README.txt and other
> > upstream documentation.  But presumably OFL-FAQ.txt was not written by
> > the authors of this particular font, but by the authors of the OFL.  And
> > so we would need explicit indication that OFL-FAQ.txt is released under
> > a DFSG-free license.
> >
> > The license text itself we can ignore.  But OFL-FAQ.txt is not part of
> > the license itself.
> Yes, the OFL-FAQ.txt is from the authors of the OFL, not the authors of
> this font (although in this case, the authors of the OFL, the font, and
> myself are all part of the same WSTech team at SIL).
>
> The intent of the OFL author is that the OFL-FAQ.txt is very closely
> related to the OFL itself. Note how the OFL license itself refers to the
> FAQ, and the website[1] for the OFL license (the URL of which is in the
> license) mentions[2] that OFL-FAQ.txt should be included.
>
> [1]
> http://scripts.sil.org/OFL
>
> [2]
> https://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=OFL#83afb016
>
> So, does d/copyright need to explicitly list OFL-FAQ.txt as being under
> the OFL? Or is the intent of the OFL author sufficient? If clarification
> from the OFL author is needed, I can ask them (as they are my technical
> director at work).

Issue is not what needs to be listed in d/copyright.

Issue is what the actual licensing is for OFL-FAQ.txt.

Since your team authored that text, it seems more sensible to ask _you_
that question rather than Sean :-)

To clarify: The text does _not_ need to have _same_ license as the fonts
(and in fact that is likely a bad idea, since the font license is
optimized for covering fonts not prose).  What is crucial is that the
text has a free license.

 - Jonas