Re: RFNs in SPDX 3.8

Hi Nathan (and others),

Quoting Nathan Willis (2020-02-09 20:30:52)
> Version 3.8 of the SPDX License List is out (live at
> https://spdx.org/licenses/ plus succinct release notes for 3.8 at
> https://github.com/spdx/license-list-XML/releases/tag/v3.8 ...).
>
> For font-packaging fans, there is one change of note in this release,
> which is that it is now possible to distinguish between OFL fonts that
> include a reserved font name (RFN) and those that do not.
>
> To provide backward compatibility, the existing OFL license
> identifiers (OFL-1.0 and OFL-1.1) are both still there and unaltered.
> But there are also four new identifiers available:
>
> - OFL-1.0-RFN
> - OFL-1.0-no-RFN
> - OFL-1.1-RFN
> - OFL-1.1-no-RFN
>
> So that any OFL package can specify whether or not there's an RFN that
> applies, and (hopefully) tooling can check for that distinction and
> prevent accidental RFN loss and/or violations!
>
> Obviously that won't happen overnight, but I for one am happy to see
> that we can finally keep track of RFN information at the
> license-compliance level; I think that it's going to make type
> designers and package maintainers both sleep a little bit easier at
> night.
>
> I'm also interested in figuring out what changes or machinery we need
> to update to make this work smoothly in Debian, so if you have input
> on that, please share!

I expect to soon implement this change in licensecheck, which should
hopefully help promote it to Debian packages in general.

You are quite welcome to file a bugreport against licensecheck to track
its inclusion (and to help remind me).

See also https://wiki.debian.org/CopyrightReviewTools a list of other
tools you might file wishlist bugs against to request their implementing
this particular change.

 - Jonas