Re: [Pkg-fonts-devel] Font packaging information

On Thu, 2016-10-13 at 14:15 +0000, Jay Philips wrote:

> Thanks for the quick reply. I've CCed him so hopefully he'll be able to
> answer the questions you've raised. Would it make it easier for
> packaging the fonts for debian if his fonts were being edited as .sfd
> and then converted to .ttf?

As Fabian said it would allow us and all users to patch the fonts more
easily when necessary, it is unlikely Debian would need to do that, but
users might want to do that in specific circumstances or might want to
contribute changes to the author via patches to the .sfd files.

If an automatic process to convert to TTF were provided then that would
be good, if such a process is missing it would complicate packaging.

I see that the fonts use reserved font names. This means it would be
illegal for Debian to build the .ttf from the unmodified .sfd and
distribute it without renaming the font. This is a bit problematic.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise