Re: [Pkg-fonts-devel] Adding AppStream metainfo files for fonts

(Please CC me to replies, as I am not subscribed to this list)

> On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 3:14 AM, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
>
>> In order to properly display fonts, they need to have an AppStream
>> metainfo file. Unfortunately, font upstreams do often not provide
>> those, especially since many font authors just create the font once
>> and then don't invest time in maintaining it.
>
> Can we just have appstream.d.o/debhelper/something autogenerate these?

Unfortunately not, because we have no idea about how to generate the
unique ID, how to write a proper summary sentence and especially we
don't know which fonts should be grouped together, if multiple exist
in one package.

>> You can find the specification for font metainfo files here:
>> https://www.freedesktop.org/software/appstream/docs/sect-Metadata-Fonts.html
>
> This appears to be missing font names (as one would use them in
> CSS/etc) and language support, how does Fedora do that magical
> language to font matching for automatic font installation when
> visiting web pages?

Fedora simply doesn't do that, and using filenames was simply a
placeholder for now.

Do you have experience with fonts? We could make this tag a "<family>
etc.
We could also make some kind of ID for the font ("libertine;bold") and
add it instead. The only important thing is that we have enough
information to associate that name with a font file.

Cheers,
    Matthias