Re: [Pkg-fonts-devel] "Bits from the Fonts packaging team" at DebConf 11

Lets add my favourite topic:

The pkg-fonts review pages and what they can do for you:

History; written by Miriam Ruiz, hijacked by pkg-fonts.

As a user you can see what a font looks like before installing it.

As a QA team member you can find RC bugs:

GPL violations due to packages shipping only the binary version of a
GPL font (the GNU FreeFont family in particular).

Packages in main shipping non-free,  unlicensed or dubious fonts.

And wishlist bugs: multiple packages duplicating a font.

As a font author you can:

Find possible issues with your font by looking at the fontlint output.

You can also look at what languages fontconfig thinks your font supports.

Some thoughts/plans for the future (come join us):

Checking for fonts in main with the embedding and printing bits set to
"no you may not". I wonder if we should add this to the review or to
lintian.

Checking PDF documents for embedded non-free fonts.

Package and use fontaine.

Integrate with screenshots.d.n?

Support for more formats.

Nicer demo renderings and CSS.

Better parallelism and incremental updates instead of complete rebuilds.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise