Re: [Pkg-fonts-devel] Renaming ttf-century-catalogue and ttf-inconsolata

Christian Perrier wrote:
> In line with the proposal I made for the Museum font, I think that
> Raph Levien's fonts should be packaged as ttf-levien-<fontname>.
>
> So, I would like to propose renaming ttf-century-catalogue to
> ttf-levien-centurycatalogue and ttf-inconsolata to
> ttf-levien-inconsolata.
>
> Would you folks object to this (particularly Nicolas as you were the
> one  first packaging these fonts)?

Hi Christian,

Well, the naming I chose initially was marking the difference between
the name of a foundry and the last name of a author/designer: the former
is officially declared and the later isn't.

Some font authors - although their work is wonderful - don't see
themselves as "foundries".

Also even one-man foundries like Michael Everson do use a foundry name:
which then results in ttf-evertype-foo for example.

And then we have open fonts released by upstream authors on
meta-foundries like the OFLB (OpenFontLibrary) which gives us ttf-oflb-foo.

But I guess we can extend the concept, as long as the naming procedure
is consistent across our packages. What is the renaming procedure
currently?

Cheers,

--
Nicolas Spalinger, NRSI volunteer
Debian/Ubuntu font teams / OpenFontLibrary