Re: [Pkg-fonts-devel] 20090104 release of GNU FreeFont

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 12:24:26PM +0100, Steve White wrote:
> However, let me re-state: the version of FreeFont currently in Debian
> experimental has been
> withdrawn, due to a licensing problem.  Please do not leave it there.

yes, will fix it ASAP

> 1) It escapes me how these stripping scripts would have any impact on
> such experiments.
>     What makes you think they would?

The "normal" ttf produces an images, then I remove some glyphs from it and render
the same text again expecting NO differences (the glyphs I've stripped out of the
ttf should not fall in the Indic range)

> 2) I have been unable to find instructions on how to reproduce your
> PNGs, and their diff.
>     Please give me a step-by-step.  Specifically, please clarify how you:
>     -- render the text
>     -- make the diff between the PNGs

I usually render those pngs inside a minimal chroot created from an iso of the
Debian installer and I use a simple pango-cairo based program I've written.
You could use something like pango-viewwhich gives you tons of options.
As for the comparison, I wrote a blog post explaining how to do it:

http://zinosat.blogspot.com/2008/02/font-tips-2-comparing-fonts.html

> 3) What versions of FreeFont are represented in deb_hi.png and hi.png?
>  (One must be
>     FreeFont 20090104, but what is the other?)

both images produced with FreeFont 20090104 (FreeSans.ttf); deb_hi.png
was created with the unstripped ttf, udeb_hi.png was created with the stripped ttf
and the third png shows the difference between the two previous images

> Without understanding the above items, I would have to suggest that
> the apparent problem is due to the font samples being rendered
> slightly differently.  This could result from the PNGs being produced
> under different versions of the rendering libraries, or from the font
> rendering configuration changing between renderings.
>
> This leads us to a next question:
>
> 4) Were the PNGs rendered at about the same time with exactly the same
> version of
>     software on the same machine, or did some time elapse between renderings?

I'm almost certain this is not the case.
It must be something like http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=375731

regards,
Davide