Re: [Pkg-fonts-devel] who is working on what?

Arne Goetje wrote:
> Hi guys,

Hi Arne,

> looking on http://svnbuildstat.debian.net/packages/list/25 there seems
> to be quite a bit work to do.

Yes, your help is welcome  :-)
This status report isn't always accurate (not sure why) but various
packages are there as WIP waiting for newer version or licensing
clarifications. Some we can drop as they are superseded. Other packages
have been in the pipeline for a while and I intend to take care of them
shortly. I'll clean things a bit...

Apart from some bugs in my packages, I intend to take care the following:
fdo-core-openfonts
hinting-viewer
open-font-design-toolkit
spiro
ttf-century-catalogue
ttf-evertype-conakry
ttf-gfs-*
ttf-museum
ttf-oldstandard
ttf-sil-namdhinggo-l
ttf-sil-sophia-nubian
ttf-sil-zaghawa-beria

There have a number of newly released open fonts as well. I'll create a
pipeline entry in our section on the wiki to help distribute the load...

Your help on packaging the new fontforge (for example) would be very
appreciated.

> Do we have an overview who is working on what?

Well, there is no formal team structure and quite a few packages are
team-maintained with active team members in Uploaders. The overview
closest to reality is what appears in the appropriate stanzas of the
control files.

> Also, I'd like to help out a bit to add watch files to font packages and
> update those where a new version is available.

Good idea, but the trouble is that various upstreams don't publish their
new tarballs in places where a watch file can be useful... And the
tarballs are not always versioned as we'd like them to be.

> Also, what's the policy on getting the tarballs into the svn? Even
> fontforge doesn't have tarballs there... why?

At this stage we've only kept packaging info and a number of team
scripts in svn. But I guess that's a useful thing to discuss.

> In order to contribute, I would need svn access. I am already a member
> of the team in alioth, but I think I don't have write access to the svn
> (and any svn information for that matter :() Could this please be
> documented somewhere on the project page how to access svn?

You have commit access with your Alioth credentials. There's some info
at the bottom of http://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/Svn but it's true that we
need a better page for that.

In the meantime this should allow you to checkout and contribute to our
team repo:
svn --username=arneg-guest co svn+ssh://svn.debian.org/svn/pkg-fonts
~/repos/pkg-fonts

> My primary aim is to get new packages into experimental, so that we can
> sync them into Ubuntu to get a broader testing.

Excellent. Thanks again for your work on the Ubuntu side :-)

> Thanks
> Arne

Cheers,

--
Nicolas Spalinger, NRSI volunteer
Debian/Ubuntu font teams / OpenFontLibrary