Re: [Pkg-fonts-devel] New release: GNU FreeFont

Steve White wrote:

> Davide,

> The document in the link you gave is about "programs", and says "must
> include source code". But you do not do this for *all* files in your distribution.

> Do you insist on source code for .png and .jpeg files?  I don't think so.

> I contend that .ttf's are like picture files in this regard: they
> *are* the description of their contents.

In fact they are better in this regard than JPEG files! - If you open and modify a JPEG file in a graphics editor you will lose quality. If you open and modify a font file in a font editor, provided you don't change the outline format, you won't loose any quality or information.

> This is in contrast to program code, which contains much more
> information than a compiled binary.

> We include program code because without it, we can't easily reproduce
> (or alter) the results.
> But this rationale fails in the case of picture files and .ttf files.

Yes!

The other reason for including program code is for portability - again not an issue with TTF / OTF files which should be cross-platform.

If you do need for instance to read the OpenType tables (say because you want to make an AAT/ATSUI version of an OpenType font) you can quite easily get them from the final font-file itself.

> So I still think you should not bother with this step in the case of
> TrueType fonts.  It is just an impediment.

I agree - The SFD source files may be nice to have - but they shouldn't be a *requirement* and it shouldn't be necessary to build fonts in a distribution from SFD sources.

regards

- Chris
*** VIRUS SCANNED by FASTLINK ISP ***