Re: [Pkg-fonts-devel] Sponsoring a font package

Quoting Nicolas Spalinger (nicolas_spalinger@sil.org):

> I agree with you. Since this is the name upstream has chosen, the
> package should reflect that. And as you say the description can explain
> what is intended.

While I agree that respecting upstream's naming choice is important,
it is also IMHO the package maintainers' duty to alert "their"
upstream on such issues.

I still think that choosing "aboriginal" is quite inappropriate and
could even sound offending by other populations calling self (or
having been called) Aboriginal (I seem to remember exchanges I had
with Enrico Zini about "aboriginal" languages in Taiwan).

So, I would urge you to raise this issue with upstream and discuss
it. It seems to me that these fonts could be young enough for a rename
to be sustainable.

And, frankly, from my POV, I don't immediately think about
North-American native populations when I hear "aboriginal" (which I
immediately translate to "aborigène" in French, whether it's correct
or not).