Re: [Pkg-fonts-devel] Debian version of GNU freefont

Hi Steve,

> Good to hear from you!  I think we can get some things done.
> (But slowly, of course.  Like most of us, I have limited time.)

nice

> > I took the package over a few months ago and prepare just a couple of
> > updates containing trivial fixes; Christian did alot of work the
> > previous months but not much happened since then due to upstream
> > inactivity.
> >
> Sorry, I'm not up on the jargon.  Does this mean, due to inactivity in
> the FreeFont project?

correct, current work is based on a cvs snapshot from 20060501 and Christian
added his patches in the Debian package; AFAIK those patches have not been
integrated upstream yet.

> To my eye, DejaVu and FreeFont are quite different typefaces, beside
> they character sets they cover.  I would personally want the choice,
> even just to display English.

I think Dejavu And Freefont use a different approach; Dejavu is very keen on
adding new glyph ranges only if they match the "look and feel" of the current
glyphs; Freefont has grown also collecting glyphs from other projects, which
has been indeed useful for projects like the debian installer.

> My personal goal is to make sure at least one free font covers certain
> technical ranges: HTML 4's Character Entities, and various levels of
> LaTeX characters.
>

> > > - I think that all changes in the Debian packages are reflected in
> > > bugs reported to upstream as you found it
> >
> > definitely; upstream activity on the package happened mostly on the
> > Debian package, so the BTS is probably the best source of information
> >
> Who/what is BTS?

Is the Debian system for tracking bugs:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=ttf-freefont;dist=unstable

suggest you look at the "archived reports" link at the top of the page to see
some context of the patches we were mentioning before

> Do you mean: you simply fixed bugs that were outstanding in the
> FreeFont bugs list, in the Debian package?

it depends: if somebody submits a bugreport on the Debian BTS, is good pratice to
let upstream developers know about it. If a patch to fix the problem is known,
it's even better. Upstream (i.e. you) should then integrate the patch in the
main archive for inclusion in the next release.

> If that is right, my question is, what is your advice on how to move
> those fixes back into the FreeFont version control system?

IMHO it would be great if you could interate the existing patches into a new
release which would be used as starting point for your future work.

> Do you (or BTS) have notes, as to exactly what changes were implemented?

as mentioned before, see the "archived reports" link and look for the bugreports
mentioned in the Changelog file

http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/t/ttf-freefont/ttf-freefont_20060501cvs-12/changelog

> There are two serious overall bugs with FreeSerif as in CVS.  One with
> line height, the other with kerning.  FreeMono also has a problem
> regarging its really being monospaced.
>
> I have read the discussions of these problems, and done some tests.  I
> doubt that the line height issue is so easy to solve as people think.
> I hope I can count on you for technical advice!

unfortunately I'm not a font expert, but I'm sure you can find help on this
mailing list or on the dedicated IRC channels:

##fonts
#dejavu

I think both on freenode

regards,