[Pkg-fonts-devel] Re: [Openfontlibrary] Re: [DejaVu-fonts] forming new maintenance team for MPH 2B Damase?

On Tue, 2007-02-13 at 12:18 +1100, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-02-12 at 22:48 +0000, Jon Phillips wrote:
>
> > ... openfontlibrary.org ...
>
> Can I just say: WOW! that rocks! I had no idea there was any such free
> font site in existence. The debian fonts packaging project could spend
> ages packaging all those fonts...
>
> A couple of suggestions if I may (no sure if you've covered these):
>
>       * Not sure if the facility is there, but I think encouraging
>         people to leave websites for their fonts is good. I know about
>         the per-user homepage, I think some fonts would have individual
>         websites though.

Ok, our system provides per-user profile pages that details submitted
fonts, etc...so, yep, we allow this already :)

>       * Encouraging people to upload source .sfd files would be good. I
>         notice that people leave notes saying fontforge source is
>         available if you email them.

This is true...we have discussed this in the past as part of the
strategy...to get the master font files in addition to the standard
usable forms of fonts, but we do not absolutely require the master file.

>       * Hmm, I'm having the urge to package fonts and imagining the
>         debian ftpmasters complaining about a zillion tiny font packages
>         being uploaded... How about a feature that does automatic
>         creation of foundries/font collections (not sure of the
>         appropriate language).

Yes, I'm thinking more in terms of creating packages in normal software
formats: tarball, bzip2ball, .deb, .rpm, .zip of the font collection at
specific intervals and depending on request....(I mean users could do
this themselves)...

>       * Some of the font licences differ on the site to the copies on
>         author's homepages.

Yes, our system allows for public domain and creative commons licenses.
So, the Open Font License is proposed for our site, but are waiting on
the finalization of that license and metadata around that. So, we are
currently only accepting public domain declared fonts.

I could elaborate on the problems of using software-licenses for fonts,
but will save that for the trip to the mailing list archives...

Cool...would you like to help us out?

Jon

--
Jon Phillips