Re: Ethernet with no IP address

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 08:45:46AM -0500, Eric Barnes wrote:
> Is it possible to access an Ethernet port in Debian WITHOUT it being
> configured?

No, you have to set it to an UP state. You don't need to configure any
addresses for it.

> I would like a device that has two ports with no IPs and acts as a SWITCH,
> but with logic to examine and act on packets as they come through.

This is called a bridge. See /usr/share/doc/bridge-utils/*.

> >From the research I've done, this is not possible without developing custom
> device driver and/or possibly changing part of kernel.

As researcher you should know that network stacks are usually layered
and the lower layer works without the upper layer.

Bastian

--
Those who hate and fight must stop themselves -- otherwise it is not stopped.
		-- Spock, "Day of the Dove", stardate unknown