From: "Eric Barnes" <eric@barnestormertechnologies.com>
To: debian-firewall@lists.debian.org
Sent: Wednesday, July 10, 2013 8:45:46 AM
Subject: Ethernet with no IP address

Greetings and Salutations;

Is it possible to access an Ethernet port in Debian WITHOUT it being configured?

I would like a device that has two ports with no IPs and acts as a SWITCH, but with logic to examine and act on packets as they come through.

From the research I've done, this is not possible without developing custom device driver and/or possibly changing part of kernel.

Just looking for some confirmation either way from people that know.  :-)

Thanks,

Eric

Cory Oldford
PeaceWorks Technology Solutions